Skip to content

Six things to know about political financing in school elections

1 - Only electors may make contributions

Only persons who are qualified electors and who are authorized to exercise their voting rights in an English-language school board may make contributions. This is generally true of parents whose child is admitted or was previously admitted to an English-language school board. It is also true of persons who have no children admitted to either the English-language school board or the French-language school service centre that serves the territory where their domicile is located.

Legal persons, such as companies, associations and trade unions, cannot contribute to the financing of candidates. Parents of children admitted to a French-language school service centre are also prohibited from making contributions. They cannot contribute money or offer a service or good for free. Nor can they repay or attempt to repay a contribution made by an elector.

Any elector who undertakes to run as a candidate in the upcoming general election may file an application for authorization starting on January 1 of the year when the election is scheduled to take place. Such a person becomes an authorized elector. Upon submitting his or her nomination papers, he or she becomes an authorized candidate.

Any elector who either demonstrates an intention to become a candidate or becomes a candidate is treated as if he or she is a candidate. From that moment on, he or she is required to comply with the rules governing political financing.